Wednesday, February 22, 2006

For the child whose eyes were wide open (A condolence)


Are you thinking what I'm thinking
You are heaven's victim
You are experiencing the whip
Of nature's anger
In these troubled days?

Yet you are five years old
Your mind, empty, your body wrapped in mud
Where from you came.
Were you party to a mountain's depressions
That you have to suffer its revenge?

Although you have baby thoughts
Your eyes are wide open
You saw the landslide, how it knocked
Bodies who should have held your hands
You fell from blows of rock and soil
Where each blow should have been of the future.

Should I be thankful
Because your eyes are wide open and you might live?
Or should I rejoice because with those open eyes
You know what it's like to be soil
What it's like to be mud, what it's like to be carried by rain?

I am deafened by the silence of your cries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ON THE YA BOOKS I’M READING

As Brave as You by Jason Reynolds  – I picked this book in the young adult section of FULLY BOOKED because, from the blurb, it seemed like a...